“Friends…”



Shared by Breanne Smedley

Maintaining friendships as an adult is hard.

Making friends is even harder.

Maybe it’s just me.

Compared to when I was a kid, and even throughout college, it seemed so effortless.

Friends in class, friends on my sports teams, then in college, friends that lived in the same dorm, and my closest friends on my volleyball team.

Constantly surrounded and built into my routine were people at my same age and stage of life.

Now, it’s much more of an effort.

I have a neighbor across the street that I have been getting to know for a little bit. She has a young child in kindergarten, a few years older than Charlee.

We were chatting the other day while our kids played in the cul-de-sac.

As we were departing, I felt like I was on a first date, nervous to make a move.

Do I say, “This was nice, we should do this again?”

“Can I get your number?”

“Hey, let’s hang out?”

Awkward. I settled for, “Nice chatting with you! Are you out here often?” Face-palm.

Maybe I’ll just hide in my house until the next sunny day, then force our paths to cross again. That’s not creepy, right?

The thing I’ve noticed about friendships as an adult is that they can be hard because I get into my routine. Busy with work, family, building a business, and working out.

My calendar has little wiggle room.

And as I was sitting, making a list of people to invite to Charlee’s second birthday party this week, I started to struggle a little.

Where are my friends?

My relationship with my friends from high school and college look much different now.

The text updates every other month, or the occasional call replaces the weekly Bachelor viewing dates.

The once a year girls trip replaces the everyday practice with my teammates.

I’m so thankful for these friendships that have stood the test of time, moves, marriages, and kids.

But, with everything in life, I’ve learned that if you don’t put some effort in, the time and distance becomes greater.

Like maintenance on a car, it needs to be done in order for it to run smoothly.

So, it’s something I’m working on.

Relationships are the foundation of accomplishment.

They require effort.

In little, consistent ways.

Reaching out.
Giving support.
Chatting, even if it’s been months.
Showing up.

Making new friends though?

I guess I’m still struggling with that one….

#theawkwardneighborgirl

===

#IntegrallyRelational

 Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”