“Thanksgiving day meltdown…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

“Thanksgiving Day meltdown…”

Charlee, Brett, and I decided to take a family walk yesterday before all the festivities starting happening.

It was a beautiful, crisp, fall afternoon.

The turkey was in the Traeger, all the sides prepped.

Seemed like a good time to take off and get a little fresh air.

Charlee thought it was a good plan too!

The problem was, she started having too much fun.

Jumping around the neighborhood playground.
Climbing up the jungle gym.
Running through the mud.
Laughing. Yelling. Falling down.

After about 45 minutes, it was time to head back and check the turkey again.

Ok Charlee, time to go!

Immediately, she responded with her favorite word at the moment.

“NO!”

We told her again and started walking on the loop back to the house.

She continued to protest.

So, I picked her up. Time to go.

She started squirming and squealing. “No! No!”

“Are we having our first full-fledged meltdown?” I asked Brett.

I put Charlee down as she was trying to twist her way out of my arms and she immediately starting running back to the slide.

Brett and I walked in the other direction.

I had heard about this strategy from other parents. I always wondered if I would try it myself.

Within the safety of the walking loop in our backyard, I figured this would be a perfect opportunity to try.

“Charlee, it’s time to go home.” I said one more time as Brett and I began walking away.

I heard another “NO!” as I saw her sit in the middle of the path.

I continued to walk, peeking behind me every step of the way to see what she would do.

It only took us a few steps before I heard the pitter-patter of her feet on the trail followed by an:

“Up, please! Up, please!”

It worked this time.

Signaling that we’re headed in a different direction prompted her to eventually follow suit.

Without some further training, though, I’m not sure it will work all the time.

It reminds me of what I learned recently in my Mindset Coaching Academy.

When it comes to who we are and, more importantly, who we are becoming, it’s our unconscious mind that runs the show.

Said differently, it’s the subconscious brain which controls most of our thoughts and beliefs about ourselves.

Formed from our experiences and stories that we let in, or repeatedly tell ourselves.

And at times, the subconscious mind is that stubborn almost 2-year old wanting to stay back.

Back to where it’s “fun”, comfortable, and safe.

And no matter how badly we want to go in a different direction, no matter how focused we are consciously on becoming who we want to be.

If our subconscious isn’t on board.

Like Charlee sitting in the middle of the path saying, “NO!”

It won’t happen.

Luckily, just like with Charlee, that part of our brain can be trained.

Rewired. Rebuilt.

Starting with awareness of the thoughts and the stories that we allow to rule our lives.

Then rewriting them, one by one.

===

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”