“If You Build It…”


 

Shared by Kristina Smedley

“If You Build It…”

They will come!
Right?!

I’m positive that’s what I learned as a little seven-year-old watching Field of Dreams.

Kevin Costner plowed the cornfield, built a baseball field, and Shoeless Joe Jackson showed up!
And then he brought his friends.

Simple as that.

As a kid, I learned (or so I thought) that this principle also held true in business.

In fact, it worked like a charm for my pop-up art store.
Where, btw, I think I actually invented the idea of a “pop-up.”

Periodically I would gather my best artists – myself, followed by my two brothers.

And we’d get to work making the most beautiful art ever seen from a 9, 7, and 4 years old.

When the moment came to “pop-up” my store, I’d grab the family card table and pop it upright in my bedroom doorway. Ta-da! My store was ready and open for business.

And just like Shoeless Joe Jackson, my parents would show up. 
My Uncle Bob was often around and always a great client. 
And frequently, grandparents were in town and would appear as customers as well.

And the dough rolled in. Easy as that!

=> I’m sure I’m not going to get away with telling this story without also mentioning the obvious… pricing. Clearly, I priced things by skill level. So, mine were worth the most, and it went down from there. And, as the owner of the store, I’m sure it made sense to keep a cut of all sales! 😉

Now, as an adult and entrepreneur, I’m really wishing this principle was true.

Just build it and they will come.

Instead, there’s an entire system out there that we’re slowly learning more about…

Advertising, marketing, effectively communicating the problem our product solves, gathering proof of the tangible results, A/B testing, and I’m sure so much more that hasn’t crossed our minds yet.

With so many different experts, models, templates, and “secrets,” it’s hard to know exactly where to start.

So, like Kevin Costner, we’re choosing key mentors and listening to their voices.
Soaking up all that we can learn.
And putting ourselves out there!

Our plan:
Be open and transparent. 
Build a superior product. 
Let people know about it. 
And eventually, we know, “they will come.”

#FiercelyOptimistic

 Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”