“Incredibly Proud…”


 

Shared by Kristina Smedley

Over the last year, I’ve been incredibly proud of my parents and their navigation of many life changes.

In January 2018, my mom retired. 
After going to work every day for ~5 years, while my dad was basically retired.

I always wondered what my mom was thinking.

Did it annoy her that my dad was at home?
That he got to walk the dog, take a nap, do a few phone calls, and look forward to her return.

As she was going to work and dealing with nightmare employee situations.

I guess I should have asked more directly.
I always hoped it wouldn’t pull them apart.

Now, almost a year later, it’s like they have a whole new life!

First, they sold their house in Denver, where they had been living the last 4 years.

And moved back into the house we grew up in, in Vancouver, WA.

And when I say they “moved back”, I mean literally that they drove multiple trips and moved all of their stuff home.

Unfortunately, their renters had caused quite a bit of damage.
And it’s an older house that needed some fixing-up before putting it on the market.

My parents put endless hours of work into getting it ready to sell.

So much so, that the inspector complimented them as it being the best-maintained house from its era that he had ever inspected.

They did almost all the work themselves – painting, hole repairs, new doors, landscaping, adding walls!
To be honest, I wouldn’t expect anything less.

My Mom and Dad are amazing handy-parents!

While managing the repairs and sale of their Vancouver house, they worked with a less-than-awesome builder in Spokane, WA to build their forever home.

Many issues and delays later; it was finished this summer.
And, it’s beautiful.

Up on a plateau, looking northwest, with a huge deck and amazing sunset views across distant hills.

There are 3 extra bedrooms, one for each of us kids and our families.

There’s a large backyard with room for dogs to run and grandkids to play.

It’s perfect.

And through it all, I see my parents laughing more. 
Seeming to have more fun together.
Being creative with our family get-togethers.
And relaxing.

They are truly amazing.

Not only are they loving, selfless, welcoming, and kind to everyone. They are also smart, strategic, handy, and determined.

I’m so proud of you, Mom and Dad.
And hope to one day be a great parent, just like you two have always been to all of us.

#InspirationallyImpactful

#PassionatelyServing

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Kristina, the Bulgarian folk dancer…”