“Enablers…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

“Enablers…”

Every morning, for as long as I can remember in our marriage, Brett wakes up before me.

It’s usually 30-45 minutes. But to be honest, I don’t know exactly.

I just know my alarm goes off at 5:30am, and I’m by myself in the bed.

After I get myself and Charlee ready, I head downstairs to get out the door.

Every morning, there is an omelette, coffee, vitamins, and water waiting for me.

My car is loaded with lunch, my breast pump, and backpack and has been pulled out of the garage for easier access.

My job is to eat and get out the door.

We have been married over five years, and with few exceptions, this is what our morning has looked like for each one. (Minus the breast pump part…that’s been a recent addition!)

I’ll even go through phases when I want something different for breakfast.

“Hey babe, what do you think about sweet potatoes, over-medium eggs, and some avocado?”

The next morning, there it is.

“Do you think sautéed vegetables would be good in the omelettes?”

Before I know it, I’m eating perfectly caramelized onions every morning. 

This consistent morning routine sets the tone for my day. I can enjoy a nourishing breakfast without being rushed, and arrive at school feeling ready to take on the day.

Confident. Empowered. Present.

Brett likes to joke that I don’t know how to make breakfast anymore. Left to my own in the morning, I would go to school hungry and caffeine-free.

He has enabled me.

Sometimes when we think of enablers, we associate them with bad habits or decisions. By making my breakfast and lunch every morning, we joke that Brett has enabled me to become dependent and helpless.

I agree that Brett has been an enabler. However, I think he has enabled me in a way that helps me be the best version of myself daily.

By providing consistency, routine, and dependability, Brett has prepared me to start my day confident, empowered, and present. Everything else in the day falls into place.

It all starts with the morning routine.

Routines are important. So are people in our lives that serve us with respect and compassion.

Those that are generous with their time, resources, and energy.

And enable us to build confidence and unlock our own potential. 

This is the heart of what it means to passionately serve, to put the needs of others in front of us to build them up.

So, thank you Brett, for enabling me!

 

#PassionatelyServing

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”