"Being the Best..."



Shared by Kristina Smedley

As my high school senior year kicked off and volleyball season was in full swing, I remember wanting so badly to be a captain. I wanted the recognition. I wanted the honor. (Yes, this seems like forever ago… but I still remember this so vividly)
And yet, I was never selected.
 
"I’m one of the best on the team… how can I not be a captain!"
It bothered me for years.
 
Fast forward to my corporate career,
I remember wanting to go into management a few years before I actually did. I interviewed for the position on a team I used to be on, in a role where I excelled. And yet, I wasn’t selected.
 
Again, "I was one of the best on the team… why wouldn’t I be selected."
Why? How could that be?!
 
Well, now I know that the answer is easy…
Being the most skilled doesn’t make you the best leader!
 
The best leaders are doing things differently. They aren’t just building their skills, and this is true on the volleyball court and in the office.
The best leaders are always Mindfully Evolving.
They are extraordinarily self-aware.
They intentionally seek to understand their own thoughts and feelings, in order to understand their actions.
They recognize limiting beliefs and do the work to overcome the thoughts that are holding them back.
They hear their inner self talk and then purposefully change their story to better inspire and enable themselves.
They sense their own needs and practice radical self-care.
 
The best leaders start with this inner work so they can better listen, serve, build relationships, be optimistic and resilient, and ultimately be Inspirationally Impactful by being someone who others choose to follow.
I didn’t know all this back then.
And I’m thankful to know this know.
 
(And all the young ladies who get the opportunity to work with Breanne in the Elite Competitor Program are putting themselves a step ahead as a player and a leader by learning this now, rather than 15 years later like I did!)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Addicted…”