“Composting 101…”



Shared by Breanne Smedley

Yesterday, I bought all the supplies to set up an at-home compost bin.

It’s something that Brett and I have been considering for months.

Why not, instead of putting all these food scraps down the disposal or in the landfill, recycle them and add some nutrients to our garden soil?

Seems like a good idea. Checked out a few blogs. Bought the necessary components.

A rotating bin for outside.
A smaller bin for our countertop.
Some biodegradable bags.
I’m sure I’m missing things…someone feel free to jump in!

I’ll admit though, I didn’t really understand what compost was or how it worked until today.

In fact, my exact words to Brett were, “Wait, these food scraps turn into SOIL?!” (Or, a soil-like substance…)

How does that even work?!

I put my eggshells, banana peels, and avocado skins into a bin…and somehow they come out as a brown soil-like substance that will help my garden thrive??

“It’s like magic” was the only thing I could think of.

The more I researched, the more I discovered it isn’t magic.

It’s science.

A biological process during which naturally occurring microorganisms, bacteria and insects break down the materials.

Over the course of days, weeks, months, and years.

Then, it comes out as transformed into something new.

We might be fooled into thinking that this process is like magic, considering how much different the output looks from the input.

But achieving transformation, in anything in life, comes down to science.

Transformation of our minds.
Our bodies.
Our businesses.
Our relationships.

All come from 1% daily improvement, compounded.

A commitment to the process.

Over the course of days, weeks, months, and years.

It’s not magic.

Those that invest in the process already know this.

Which is why I’m no longer wasting my scraps.

Because, with enough time and commitment to the process, even the most seemingly useful things can be transformed into something greater.

===

 

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Kristina, the Bulgarian folk dancer…”