“Do something…”

 



Shared by Breanne Smedley

Friday night I went to bed with a splitting headache.

Not because I was dehydrated, ate something funny, or was sick (usual culprits).

But because my mind was spinning in crazy circles.

Thinking, processing, and sifting through some unexpected emotions.

School was called off for 6 weeks.
No sports.
No activities.
Not even online learning.

As I look around our world, to China, Italy, and Spain…I recognize and see the reason.

The need for all of us to sacrifice and suffer a little, so that no one has to suffer a lot.

It makes sense, and actually brings me a sense of faith in humanity. An interconnectedness to help each other (assuming people follow the guidelines…)

That’s not what kept me up at night and made my head hurt, though.

Instead, it was the question I kept asking myself, “What do I do?”

Not “what do I do with my time?”

I can create a whole laundry list of projects and deep cleaning/organizing that can be done, quick! (Cue eye roll from my husband).

It was more of a

“What do I do..as a leader?”

A leader of my family.
Of my Columbia River Volleyball athletes.
Of my athletes in my Mental Training Program.
Of my students.
Of my neighborhood.
Of my community.

Because it’s during these times that people are searching.
As they are possibly nervous, scared, or sad.

Searching for a light.
A beacon.

And as leaders, we get an opportunity to respond.

Whether we see ourselves as leaders or not, it’s times like these that we get to choose.

Sit back, and do nothing.

Or, choose to lead.

Be the light.
Be the inspiration.
Be a source of help.

But, how? That’s what I couldn’t wrap my head around.

Until I realized that all my attempts to plan something perfect.
Craft the perfect email.
Say the perfect thing.

…were just delaying action.

“Do something. Anything.” I finally told myself.

So, I did.

Reached out to my athletes.
Reached out to my family, friends, and neighbors.

Not with the “right” words.
But, just to ask them how they’re doing.
Tell them how I’m feeling.

Started the conversation.

Modeled how I’m responding, and the emotions I’m processing.

We get caught up in what the “right” thing to do is. The perfect plan.

Most of the time, as leaders, the perfect plan is simply to show up.
Show up in the hard times.

Be seen. Be vulnerable. Be imperfect.

Leaders…

Show up, be the light.

Or stay silent in the dark.

We get to choose. But either way, they’re watching.

===

#InspirationallyImpactful

Check out what we're up to now!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”