“Can’t vs Won’t…”


 
Shared by Breanne Smedley

“I don’t have time” is the primary reason most people don’t do the things they want/need/ought to do.

It’s been a topic of conversation in our house every time Spring starts to show itself.

Mainly in the form of weeds popping up, bark dust washed away from 6 months of PNW rain, and gutters overflowing with leaves.

Those first sunny days signaling the return of the sun give me a tease of what summer is going to feel like.

The thoughts of hanging out on the patio in the warm sun, late nights, bonfires, and vacations quickly give way to a realization.

That the weather is finally okay enough to take care of some of the yard work we haven’t touched since last spring. Talk about a buzz-kill!

“The weeds are coming back…” I comment.

“We don’t have time!” Brett usually responds.

That’s partially true.

We are busy. We’ve filled our life with people, careers, and passions that take up our time.

And with the little we have leftover, it’s not that we can’t use it to pull weeds and clean gutters.

It’s that we’re not.

We’ve prioritized other things above it.

But, before our yard turns into a jungle and the HOA comes knocking on our door, we have to find a way to clean it up.

We have to shift resources to make it happen.

Either time. Or, money (hire someone?!).

It reminds me of a mindset shift I learned not long ago.

Every time I find myself saying “I can’t…” replace “can’t” with “won’t.”

Suddenly,

“I can’t do yardwork…”
“I can’t find time to workout…”
“I can’t eat healthy…”
“I can’t spend time with my friends or family…”

Turns into…

“I won’t do yardwork…”
“I won’t find time to workout…”
“I won’t eat healthy…”
“I won’t spend time with my friends or family…”

The power of that simple shift puts the ownership where it belongs.

On me.

For the most part, I am in control of how I spend my time.

My life is a direct reflection of my choices and priorities.

“Can’t” and “No time” are just limiting mindsets.

If it’s important, I will find a way.
===

#MindfullyEvolving

 Check out what we're up to now!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”