“Drinking cat water…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

When I was 8 years old, I got my first pet that was “mine.”

I spent the months leading up to that point trying to prove to my parents that I would be responsible enough to take care of a cat.

“You know, you’d have to clean the litter box daily!” My mom would tell me.

“Yes, I will do it!” I’d assure her.

“And the cat will need food and freshwater every day!” She’d remind me.

“I’ll feed her every morning!”

And I’ll brush her, clean up all her cat hair, and take her for walks!

Side note: walking a cat with a harness and leash is pretty much like trying to walk an immovable rock.

I had eventually done enough convincing, and in the summer of 1997 I brought home a tiny ball of fur that I named Ruby.

I had so much fun playing and taking care of her. I was diligent to make sure her cat box was always empty, food and water bowls full.

Ruby would eventually start following me around the house and sleeping in my bed at night.

She became my little buddy!

School started and it became harder for me to remember to keep up with the daily duties of taking care of a cat.

My mom would remind me, “The cat box needs to be emptied!”

“Ruby needs food and fresh water!”

“I know, MOM! I’ll do it after school!”

Well, we know how that goes…

After school became after dinner. After dinner became, “I’ll do it tomorrow.”

Not a way to take care of a living, breathing animal.

And my mom was about to let me know I was failing at keeping up with my promise.

One day, I came downstairs for dinner and there was a water glass of something sitting next to my plate.

I looked closer and saw that it was filled to the top with nasty, murky water.

There was cat hair floating in it, and chunks of puffed-up cat food swirling throughout.

“Gross! Mom, what is that?!”

“That’s what you’re drinking with your dinner tonight!” She responded.

“No way, I’m not drinking that!”

“Then why would you expect Ruby too?” She questioned.

Wow, I had been called out.

Of course, I wouldn’t want my cat drinking that water.

It took a slight shift in perspective for me to realize how neglectful I was being.

Looking back, I’m thankful my mom called me out like this. (And I’m sure Ruby was too).

I didn’t like it at the time, but I’m grateful for those people in our life that have the courage to call us on our stuff and hold us accountable for what we said we were going to do.

Only the good friends, family members, teammates, and partners care enough to do so.

===

#IntegrallyRelational

 Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”