“Showing up…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

I always tell my students that half the battle in anything is just physically showing up.

And it’s no different in my class.

I tell them that they want to do well, gain confidence, improve their physical and mental health, they have to take the first step.

Just show up. Get to class. The work will follow.

Because even a crappy workout that you didn’t want to do is better than the one you didn’t show up for.

Physically being there is always the first step. We can’t go anywhere without it.

It’s the catalyst that allows the work to happen.

It’s kind of a trick, though.

Because we all know it’s not enough.

I can physically be at the gym, but if I don’t put in the work, can I really expect to improve?

I can physically be at the dinner table with my family, but if I’m distracted and unengaged, am I cultivating relationships?

I can be physically present with Brett, but if I’m not showing him my vulnerabilities and imperfections, can we be connected?

I was reading Brené Browns book “Rising Strong” this morning when I had a new revelation around the term “just show up.”

She writes, “Vulnerability is the willingness to show up and be seen with no guarantee of outcome.”

Showing up is more than just physically being somewhere or with someone.

It takes a risk.

It takes courage.

It requires me to be seen, engage, and not hide parts of me that I want to stay hidden.

Without a guarantee of reward. Without knowing how others will respond.

However, we know that showing up and being seen is the only path to more love, belonging, and joy.

As my mind wrapped around this concept this morning, I wrestled with the thought that “just showing up” is now way harder than it sounds.

It’s not, though, when we just focus on that first step.

Because I know that if I just show up to the gym, the work will follow.

I know that if Brett, Charlee, and I just show up to the dinner table, it creates the space and opportunity to engage with each other.

I know that if I simply show up to Brett and I’s weekly check-in, that I can’t help but want to be connected to him.

Showing up physically provides the space for us to show up emotionally and mentally.

It provides the opportunity for us to be seen.

It doesn’t happen though, without that first, easy step.

The step of just showing up.

===

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”