“White Advantage…”

 


Shared by Kristina Smedley

“White Advantage…”

Last Saturday night is still sitting on my mind this week.

Partly because I loved catching up with friends who I adore and miss.

But it’s on my mind even more so because of a realization I had that evening that stung a little.

Last Saturday I was invited as a guest to the 7th Annual Fundraising Auction for the Seattle Amistad School (a pre-K through 5th grade Spanish/English immersion school).

My friend Andrea is a Board Member, helping them with finances and other much needed support.

As I walked into the event space in downtown Seattle, I was immediately drawn to the energy and enthusiasm in the room.

It was alive.
It was colorful.
It was joyful.

There were so many people, dressed for a nice evening out, chatting excitedly while they browsed the silent auction items.

A silent auction that must have spanned 7, 8’ long tables! 
Events, classes, wine packages, gift cards.
And even more items pinned to the walls.

There was definitely something for everyone!

As we sat down for dinner, Andrea and I chatted about the possibilities of their kids attending the Amistad school. How great, I thought, for them to retain fluency in both languages as they grow up!

About half-way through dinner and all the live auction excitement, the lights dimmed and the energy slowed down as a video started on the big screen.

Farin, the school’s founder shared that as her family watched their hispanic/caucasian children grow up in public school they witnessed diminishing pride in their culture and less Spanish spoken with friends and family.

With their youngest child entering school soon, they knew something had to change.
The idea for the Amistad School was formed.

The stories from children and parents touched my heart.

Parents found a home in this school, where their children’s heritage was celebrated along with many other cultures and traditions.

Two dads found safety for their son, in a school where being raised by two dads was cherished rather than not spoken about.

Children made friends across races, cultures, and socio-economic status. In their eyes, they only saw friends. 
And they felt acceptance and love, rather than shame, uncertainty, or the need to fit in.

This wasn’t just about learning Spanish or maintaining fluency.

This was about finding a home where they are accepted for who they are, celebrated for their differences, and brought together to experience and know that we are all humans and that we all desire love and connection.

This was about allowing pride in their cultural roots, maintaining a connection to their heritage, and respecting and valuing others at the same time.

I felt so ignorant for thinking it was just about maintaining fluency in Spanish.

I felt ignorant for not seeing the deep need to be accepted and surrounded by a message that cheered them on rather than tore them down.

And it really stung as I thought about my loving husband, who’s dad is from Libya, and the similar struggles he probably faced as a young child.

And our many friends with bi-racial marriages and children, who probably have similar conversations and concerns.

I really saw and felt in that moment the white advantage that I grew up with and live with everyday.

So far, I haven’t been forced to always consider these cultural implications. They aren’t in my face every day, refusing to be ignored.

In fact, I’m even having a hard time writing about this because these topics of conversation aren’t in my everyday vocabulary.

I left the auction with my heart filled with so much love for Farin and the amazing staff, parents, and board members who are raising children who will bridge our many cultural divides and help create a more kind and compassionate world as they grow up.

And I left with an opened awareness and appreciation that I didn’t know I was seeking, but am so thankful to have found.

 

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”