“I Was iii4o``````Always an Athlete…”


 

4Shared by Kristina Smedley

“I Was Always an Athlete…”

Basketball was one of our favorite sports as kids.

We grew up in the tiny town of Packwood, WA, right at the base of Mt. Rainier. Deep in the mountains, I think the only resemblance of a stoplight was the flashing light over the school crosswalk.

Everyone knew everyone. Life was slow. It was simple.

It was a little kid’s dream place to grow up.

Our family went hiking, fishing, and camping in the summer. 
We went cross-country skiing to cut down our Christmas tree in the winter.

And my brothers and I played outside non-stop.

Everything we needed was literally right outside our door – a swamp filled with weird plants and frogs; a forest with trails, a stream, and huge logs to cross for an adventure; another little stream that seemed to end at the side of our house that we would send our Barbies and G.I. Joes down for ‘boot camp;’ and a lone basketball hoop in the Forest Service parking lot.

My dad, two brothers, and I had many two-on-two tournaments over in that parking lot.

It was usually my dad and my youngest brother, Mark, against me and our middle brother, Brett. We learned to dribble and shoot, and always to play good defense.

“The best offense is a great defense,” my dad would say.

But scoring was so much more fun!

Mark, being six or younger, couldn’t quite get the ball to the rim so he just had to hit the pole to score 2 points. Brett and I could make baskets, and it was so exciting when we did!

I’m not sure who won all these games. 
But I do remember loving to shoot and loving to jump and rebound.

I couldn’t wait to play basketball at school, and I was even more excited because my dad was going to be my coach!

These are my early childhood memories of basketball; mostly they are memories of spending time with my family.

In middle school, I started volleyball and as Seniors, that same group of gals were on the team who won the state tournament!

Sports were always part of my life; I was always an athlete.
Until more recently.

With increased responsibilities at work and home, starting a business venture, and getting a coaching certificate…

It feels there’s no time or energy left to work out.

Just like I feel there’s not enough time to see all my close friends and be part of their lives.

Or commit to the practices that will enable my own development.

I know this isn’t true and it’s just a matter of prioritizing what’s most important to me.

Sometimes I find it helpful to relish in past memories, like my family playing basketball, to remember the origin of this part of me. It quickly puts into perspective the type of person I am and who I strive to be.

Prioritization is then much more clear.

 

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”