“A dad’s love…”

 


Shared by Breanne Smedley

It’s weekend number two of three in a row that Brett gets to be a solo dad to Charlee.

Mindfluent Leader® work weekend, volleyball tournament, and a volleyball clinic have pulled me away and subsequently put my husband in full-time charge of our 13-month-old.

There’s even more on the horizon too as summer volleyball ramps up.

During these weekends, I relish the text updates he gives me.

Pictures of them at a daddy-daughter coffee date.

Selfies of them making silly faces.

Photos of Charlee with her breakfast all over her face.

I know it’s not easy.

Charlee is interested in everything these days. Super mobile. And opinionated in her own one-year-old way.

Layer on top of that the dishes, laundry, meals, and whatever other work Brett had envisioned completing over the weekend, and it’s a recipe to become overwhelmed quickly.

I don’t hear any of that from him though. Just loads of cute photos that make me smile every time I open my phone.

Saturday, I started to feel a twinge of guilt and sadness when I opened a photo of Brett and Charlee hanging out at Felida coffee house.

I was wishing I was them, and feeling bad that I was missing out on making memories with Charlee at this age.

Later that day, one of my coaches shared with me that she too had been gone for some periods of time while her daughter was younger.

And it was during this time that she said her daughter formed a bond with her husband that is now incredibly special.

Although it’s sometimes hard to realize in the moment, I’m so grateful that Charlee is getting this too.

I know that a daughter’s relationship with her dad is profoundly influential.

Brett is building that foundation with Charlee now.

They have a closeness and a bond that I can already see in action.

Every time Charlee hears the sound of the garage door opening and yells, “Hi DA DA!”

Or when she leans in to give him a kiss.

My heart reminds me that it’s not only okay that Charlee and Brett get plenty of one-on-one time, it’s incredibly good.

I imagine their relationship as Charlee gets older and starts school.

Leaning on him for support as she navigates the excitement and nervousness she is feeling in the same way she reaches out for his hand as they are walking together.

As she explores her passions, I imagine Brett cheering her on in the exact way he cheers on her attempts to throw a ball today.

One day, I imagine Brett walking her down the aisle with the same look of admiration as he guides her tiny legs up the stairs today.

Yes, it’s in these moments when it’s easy to get discouraged that I remember how special this opportunity is for my husband and daughter.

It’s incredibly good.

===

#IntegrallyRelational

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”