“The snooze button…”

 


Shared by Breanne Smedley

Since January, I’ve stuck to the same morning routine.

Although it’s ridiculously early, it’s what sets my day in motion.

4:15am wakeup.
Coffee.
Meditate.
Read. 
Write.

It’s also lead to more books read in the last 90 days than I read in the past year total.

And allowed me to produce enough content to write a book.

Doing the important things in the morning doesn’t leave them to the chaos of the day.

Routine creates habits, which shape identity.

I also feel accomplished and tend to transfer that feeling to everything else I’m doing that day.

Teaching.
Meetings.
Working out.
Spending time with Brett and Charlee.
Building Mindfluent Leadership.

There’s a great chance that not only does these things get done, but done with energy if I stick to my enabling morning routine.

Then came this past week.

Monday hit, and my phone started buzzing in the bathroom.

4:15am.

“I’m so tired. I’m going to press snooze, just once.”

So, I got out of bed, walked all the way to the bathroom, and ignored the little voice that told me to turn on the lights and just get ready.

I pressed snooze and went back to bed for nine minutes.

The second time the alarm went off, I got up and got ready.

I was still able to accomplish my morning routine. Just a little more rushed.

Tuesday rolled around though, and I did the exact same thing.

One time snooze, get ready quickly, do the routine but this time take out the meditation so I have more time to read and write.

You can guess where this is going.

It was like an addiction. “I’ll just have one cookie…”

We all know it never ends with just one.

My one snooze habit turned into two by Thursday.

On Friday, the phone was in the bed with me and I had pressed snooze so many times that I didn’t have any time left over for my routine.

I got up, got ready, and was thrust into the day.

Throughout the day though, I felt lethargic and groggy. I also was trying to figure out when I would make up what I missed in the morning.

It’s like those circus performers who start out juggling just a few balls.

They have it under control, like they could do it all day.

Then, someone throws them another ball.

“Ut oh! How’s he going to do it?!”

Ok, four balls going. But then, another ball is thrown into the mix. And another. And another.

Soon, he’s juggling seven balls.

But me, I can’t juggle seven balls.

Some start to drop. Some hit me in the face and bounce off.

At some point, I choose which ones to keep in the air, and which ones end up on the ground.

And to think, it all started with a nine-minute snooze?

That break in routine has created a chain reaction.

Impacting my routine. 
My habits. 
Which will eventually lead to my identity.

People tell me you can delete the snooze option altogether.

For the sake of my future self, it might be time!

===

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”