“Names are important…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

This week, I was waiting to head into an Orange Theory class when I overheard a conversation.

It was between one of the people who work at the front desk and someone who was taking a class for the first time.

It was a pretty typical exchange. The woman was getting set up with her monitor, learning about how the class went, signing her waiver.

Even typical was the next question from the front desk agent.

“What was your name again?”

The woman replied, repeating her name.

“I’m sorry, I’m terrible with names!” The receptionist apologized.

It got me thinking, because I used to say that all the time too.

I’m just bad at “names,” I would tell myself and others.

Someone would introduce themselves to me, and minutes later I couldn’t tell you what his or her name was.

I’d have to think to myself, “Darn it, what was her name?” Then awkwardly ask again.

Or not, and just hope I wouldn’t see that person again to have to ask their name another time.

I figured it was just a fault that I was born with.

Chalk it up to some of the other things in life I’m not good at.

Basketball. 
Keeping plants alive.
Remembering people's names.

Until I realized that I’m being a hypocrite.

One of the first leadership lessons I teach in my classes is:

“Names are important.”

In most cases, our name was one of the first gifts we were ever given.

There’s a story behind every name.

My name comes from a combination of my dad’s name (Brent) and my mom’s name (Joanne). I love that I hold both parts of my mom and dad in my name.

I teach my students that it is important to learn names, correctly pronounce names, use names in conversations, and never disrespect someone’s name.

Just like being bad at basketball or keeping plants alive isn’t something in my genes, being intentional about remembering people’s names is also something I can improve on.

Through active listening. 
Intentionally taking note. 
Not just trying to figure out what I need or want to add to the conversation.

Because names are important.

===

#CourageouslyListening

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Addicted…”