“If you bake it, they will come…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

“If you bake it, they will come…”

One of the things I love about teaching at the same school I coach is being able to see my players from day to day.

Some of them are in my classes. Others I get to see in passing. For some, I can take a short walk to the lower commons on my lunch to touch base.

One of my coaching principles is that relationships are everything.

So, the ability to check-in, touch base, and maintain relationships daily is invaluable.

However, this year I started noticing a trend.

My teaching routine only allows me to see a certain percentage of my players on a regular basis.

I noticed that my relationships with the players that my schedule naturally allowed me to come in contact with was stronger.

Like a bank account, each interaction I had with them was like a deposit.

Some deposits small. A “hi” and a smiling face.

Some, larger. Having a long conversation about what’s going on at home.

Still, there were many relationships that had a “remaining balance” that was exactly the same as it was at the end of the season.

This was a problem. It was in conflict with one of my core principles.

As I searched for a solution, I thought of the few girls that made it a habit to come into my office before school a couple days a week.

They would stop by, say hi, and chat for a while before heading to their classes.

How could I get more players to do this?

Then came the possible solution. 
What motivates most high schoolers to get out of bed a couple minutes early? Food!

So, I decided to make it a “thing.”

Breakfast at Bre’s. 
Stop by my office before the 1st period every Friday to get a treat to kick off the weekend!

I’m about 6 weeks into this new weekly tradition, and it’s working.

Players that I don’t normally see in the day-to-day are dropping by for treats, and staying for the connection.

It’s not everyone though, yet.

But I know, as with anything, consistency over time is what leads to results.

So I’ll keep baking, and making deposits.

With hopes that bellies, and relationship accounts stay full.

#IntegrallyRelational

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Addicted…”