“Hoopfest 2015…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

A few summers ago, Brett and I went on a vacation with our friends Zach and Kathryn.

We had this idea to do annual Smedley-Banning summer trips.

The year prior was a fun, adventurous, and relaxing trip to Glacier National Park.

The following year, we decided it would be fun to enter as a team in the annual Hoopfest 3 on 3 basketball tournament in Spokane.

Well, I think Brett and Zach thought it’d be fun. They both had years of basketball experience under their belts.

Kathryn and I thought it’d be more along the lines of hilarious.

When Zach signed us up, the registration asked for our basketball experience and height.

Zach-6’0”, High School Varsity
Brett-6’4”, High School Varsity
Kathryn-5’10”, Middle School
Breanne-6’0”, 1 week unit in Elementary PE

We had a plan though.

Brett and Zach would play the whole time and run the show. 
Kathryn and I would just switch out for each other and be the decoys.

Run around a little bit. 
Distract the opponent.

Seemed like a great plan.

Until Brett started feeling sick on the way over to Spokane. 
We still had time for him to recoup and be ready for the tournament though. He will be fine!

We got to our court the morning of the first day. 
It was already blazing hot. 
104 degrees was the projected high.

We saw some of the other teams warming up on our court.

“Wow, they look good! And tall!” Kathryn and I commented.

Somehow our experience, combined with our abnormally tall height put us in a division with former college basketball players.

Oh well, we’ll just stick to the plan.

First game started and Zach and Brett were running the show, as planned.

Until about 10 minutes in, when Brett came off looking like he was going to puke.

“Bre, you gotta go in!”

Ut oh…

Brett was out for the count.

That left Kathryn, Zach, and I to do this thing. 
Sorry, Zach!

I found the shortest of the opponents to guard, a girl that was about my height. 
But actually could play basketball.

I felt like I was just chasing her around the court. 
She was so fast! 
She could dribble with both hands!

I’d get close to her and try to guard like I saw others doing, and she’d just whiz right past me and go in for a layup, faster than I could figure out what was going on.

I’d hear Brett and Zach yell things out like: 
“Post!”
“Man-Up!”
“Closeout!”

Yeah, you’re speaking a different language guys.
No idea what you want me to do.

At one point, a guy on the other team stopped in the middle of the game and told me where I should be standing to guard him.

“Between you and the hoop. Okay, got it!” I confirmed, as he dribbled past me.

I tried to shoot a couple of times.

Airball. 
Slam off the backboard.
Over the backboard.

Zero landed in the hoop.

“Where did my HORSE skills go from elementary school?!”

The Smedley-Banning team ended up losing every game at Hoopfest 2015.

All we could do was laugh, though.

At how hilarious we probably looked. 
How hard we tried.

We laughed at ourselves and made it one of my favorite memories together.

Although, I’m not sure Hoopfest is in our future for a while…

===

#DaringlyResilient

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”