“20 feet…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

This morning, I was wakened like normal to the sound of my alarm coming from my phone at 4:15am.

And, as always, I laid in bed and wondered if I can sleep in a little longer.

“Maybe I can get ready in 5 minutes instead of 15,” I try to reason.

“Or, I’ll push my reading to the afternoon instead of morning.”

While I’m wrestling with myself, my phone continues to emit its annoying “cosmic” ringtone sound.

If I could, I would press snooze.

I can’t though, without having to literally get out of bed and walk into the bathroom.

“Why is it so far away?!”

The alarm continues to go off and I wonder if I can just sleep through it.

However, it’s too loud to ignore.

“Who put the alarm on high volume?!”

Now, I start to feel bad that the alarm is going off and that it might wake Brett up.

The thought of “I’ll just press snooze, then get back in bed” pops into my head and entices me.

So, I get out of bed and head to the bathroom.

However, by the time I make it into the bathroom and find my phone, it’s the same thought every morning that keeps me there, rather than returning to bed.

“I’m up, I might as well get ready and start my routine.”

So, I do.

I love my morning routine of coffee, reading, and writing before anyone else gets up.

I already feel accomplished going into my day, before the clock hits 6:00am.

My morning routine provides the momentum for the rest of my day.

It doesn’t happen, though without the small step I force myself to do the night before.

My phone stays in the bathroom at night. Out of the bedroom, and out of the bed.

This makes it impossible to scroll social media before bed, which always leads to a groggy wake-up.

And forces me to get out of bed to turn off the blaring alarm, rather than just roll over and press snooze.

It’s a simple action.

Only about 20 feet of distance separates by bed from the bathroom counter.

But that 20 feet has made all the difference in maintaining an enabling morning routine rather than one that will hinder my forward progress of the day.

Short term momentum in the morning.
It’s what leads to long term momentum over the course of days, weeks, months, and years.

===

#MindfullyEvolving

#InspirationallyImpactful

 Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Addicted…”