“Hiking accident…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

“Hiking accident…”

The summer before entering my eighth-grade year, I had the worst fitness-related experience of my life so far.

It was at Young Life camp, and it was the last day.

The week prior had been filled with amazing experiences.

Fun times with friends. 
Zip-lining, blob, and ropes course adventures. 
Meaningful conversations with mentors. 
And lots of delicious camp food.

On the last day, our cabin decided to wake up before the sun came up to hike to the top of the largest hill at camp: Communication Hill.

A group of about 8 of us set out in the dark. The goal: Make it to the top of the hill before sunrise.

This “hill” was no small feat.

Within minutes, my lungs were on fire. Legs burning. The incline was so steep that I felt I could reach out and touch the path ahead of me.

We didn’t leave ourselves much time to get the job done, either.

Soon, our group realized we had to pick up the pace if we wanted to experience the sun peaking over the top of the golden central Oregon foothills.

The last small stretch was as close to a sprint as we could manage.

We reached the top, exhausted. But with just enough time to catch the first rays shimmer light over the camp below us.

I was taking it all in, bonding with my cabin mates as the sun continued to rise when I felt a knot in my stomach.

All that exercise, plus a week of straight “camp” food gave me a little heads up that I might want to make my way back to the cabin.

I asked my friend, Janel if she could walk back down the hill with me. I had to go to the bathroom.

She was willing, so we set out ahead of the group and back down the hill.

The trek down proved to be just as challenging as the way up.

The incline, the dirt, and small rocks made it so that every step gave way to a slip or slide.

The only way to not fall was to commit to taking short, choppy steps all the way down.

But I didn’t have time for that. Plus, each pound of a step only caused the knot in my stomach to grow, and move south.

I realized that I needed to get down that hill, fast.

Turns out you can’t outsmart physics though…

…or the laws of nature.

Nature was calling. And my answer to try and sprint down the hill wasn’t the answer.

I finally couldn’t take it anymore.

I stopped and looked at Janel.

“It’s happening!” I said.

I had lost all control.

I pooped my pants. Standing there on Communication Hill.

Janel looked at me.

Her face was a mixture of confusion and shock.

Then, when she realized what had just happened, she doubled over in laughter. Unable to compose herself.

Me on the other hand, standing in my poopy pants, was mortified.

But, I didn’t have much time to stay that way.

The group we left behind was now making their way down the hill.

And just like when life gets shitty, I had a choice.

Keep moving, or sit in it. 
The only option was to keep moving.

So I did. One poop-filled step at a time.

 

#DaringlyResilient

 Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”