“Can’t save them all…”



 Shared by Breanne Smedley

“Can’t save them all…”

I hear this phrase being thrown around education every once in a while.

Difficult student. 
Won’t respond to feedback. 
Defiant. 
Rude.

Even after multiple strategies, intervention, and time passed. 
Nothing seems to change.

“Welp, can’t save them all…”

I’m tempted to use this phrase too.

Sometimes, I feel like I’ve tried everything I can think of to connect with a player or student. To help them change mindsets, behavior, or performance.

Maybe weeks, and months have passed of trying.

And these people continue to make choices that negatively impact themselves or others.

The unmotivated player. 
The one who keeps making the same error, over and over. 
The student who doesn’t give effort. 
The one who is disrespectful.

After a certain point, it’s legitimate to think.

“Well, I’ve tried everything. Nothing more I can do. It’s on them now.”

Can’t save them all.

Personally, I think this way of thinking is a crutch.

It immediately limits our influence.

It becomes a justification for my effort. Then subsequent lack of effort if I don’t see the results I desire within the time frame I expect.

Young people, just like us, are on a journey.

I believe that students need to be held accountable, and experience the consequences (positive or negative) of their decisions.

However, I also believe that a little grace and awareness of the reality of the journey they are on goes a long way.

Every morning, I try to say hi to each of my students as they come into class.

Every morning, I am met with nothing but an eye-roll from one of my students.

Sometimes, I find myself wanting to tell this student,

“You know, it’s really disrespectful when you don’t say hi back.”

Sometimes, I don’t want to say hi. Because I don’t want the negativity.

But, I do it anyways. Smile, say hi. Try to connect.

I think of it like planting a seed.

Over time, in the right conditions, that seed will sprout and bloom.

I hope it’s the same for those “difficult” students that I cross paths with.

One day, they will look back on high school.

I hope the seeds of kindness, respect, and compassion I tried to plant in them have made a difference in who they have matured to be.

Maybe this blooming happens next week. Or maybe it’s months, or years away.

I don’t get to decide.

But I do get to decide my mindset and response to these students in the face of adversity.

“Can’t save them all.”

How can I, if I stop trying?

 

#MindfullyEvolving

#FiercelyOptimistic

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”