“Cheat Day… or Month”


 

Shared by Kristina Smedley

My friend Ryan stated today: “To be disciplined is what empowers us. But it’s also what drains us.”

Face-palm. Yes!

In many ways, that’s how I’ve been feeling lately. Drained.

Remember my exploration and commitment a couple of months ago into “less is more”… well, I think I’ve reverted and maybe tipped over the edge of “more and more and more.”

Somehow, in all my excitement, I’m now trying to build a daily routine that includes:
meditating
working out
journaling
reading
storytelling
getting enough sleep and waking up early
and one loud scream in the car every morning (that’s another story).

Oh yeah, and healthy eating. And Sennad. And Lexi. Oh, and work.
Thankfully I haven’t tried to add no wine to this list!

So far, I haven’t had a single 100% committed and disciplined day!
Not one.

My mind seems to be craving a cheat day, every day.

And since I’m only half-assing all of these intentional practices, my mind has actually created a cheat month in retaliation!

And don’t even get me started on what that means for holiday treats and cookies!

So, a glass of wine in hand and Lexi-love, my 13 year-old Maltipoo, cuddled up next to me on this oversized, chill-in-front-of-the-fire pillow I just bought…

Cheat month day #19, here we are!

Similar to how healthy eaters or frequent gym-goers need to give themselves a cheat day or rest day, I also need to build that into my self-expectations.

So, this is me today, seeming to have everything together but in reality, working with a mind and body that thinks the entire month of December is a cheat month.

And as I lay here, I’m really realizing that it’s OK.

Life is a big journey and we find our way by experimenting and committing to new and empowering paths.

There’s a way to make this work.
A way to be part of the things that matter most.

For now, I’ll just focus on being present – cuddling with my doggie, enjoying a glass of wine, and being thankful for a life that affords me this internal struggle.

 

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”