“Thoughts versus Facts…”


 

Shared by Kristina Smedley

Last year, my friend Megan somehow gifted me an Ellevate Network membership. If you haven’t heard of this before, they describe themselves as:

“Ellevate is the leading network for professional women, a community to lean on and learn from.”

Along with classes, networking events, sharing of success stories, etc… they also host 12-week Squads, where 5-10 women are strategically placed together to support and grow with one another.

So, of course, I signed up! What a great opportunity.
And then I volunteered to be my Squad’s moderator.
(this checks the box for in line with my goals and purpose – “less is more”)

My Squad is awesome!

It’s ladies of all different ages, in different cities, with totally different careers (a statistician, real estate lobbyist, professional coach, and more!).

Some sessions are dedicated to discussing and sharing about pre-selected “Hot Topics”. And, all squadmates get a “Hot Seat” day to talk through their goals, challenges, etc.

I’ve learned so much about integrating work and life, presenting at a large conference, board service, good books, and other tips and tricks.

And yesterday was my Hot Seat day.

Before the meeting, I emailed my Squad what Breanne and I were up to with The Mindfluent Leader, LLC, the coaching certificate I applied for, and the struggle I’ve been having about if I want to switch careers, switch companies, or what type of work would be most fulfilling.

And I received the most obvious and enlightening piece of advice that I have to share!

(I hope I can explain this well so it might help you too!)

In summarizing what she heard from me, one squad-mate mentioned that she heard me mixing thoughts and facts and this was clouding my view of the path forward and maybe holding me back.

She heard: Good Pay, Great Benefits, Strong Network, Potential – as reasons I might be afraid to try something new.

Of being afraid that I might not find something as good elsewhere.

Then, she pointed out that “Good, Great, Strong Network, and Potential” are actually just my thoughts and aren’t factual.

My perception of what are Good, Great, a Strong Network, or Potential might be completely different from others, might be totally matched or exceeded elsewhere, and those adjectives shouldn’t hold me back from looking into something new.

One day, if I choose to look into other options, then I can compare the fact to make a good decision.

This made so much sense to me!
It was so obvious… but in a way, I had never broken it down before.

So, now I’m setting these adjectives and facts aside and considering where I feel fulfilled, what gives me energy, the impact I hope to make.

Then, one day in the future, I’ll bring those facts back into the equation.
And who knows… maybe I’ll have some new thoughts and adjectives to describe them!

How do you separate the facts from the thoughts, and still follow your heart?
Any personal stories you can share with us?

 

#MindfullyEvolving

 Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”