“The moment I knew I could be more, do more…”


 

Shared by Kristina

It was the spring of 2016.

We lived and worked in sunny SoCal, where we very much enjoyed our jobs, had a monthly run club with old and new friends that really focused on the most important question… where to eat brunch, and I was back in school learning about organizational leadership.

And we were soon getting married in Mexico. Life was great!

One day, I walked into work, saying hi to all the smiling faces I passed, and got to my desk to find a sticky note on my keyboard.

See… I get to work a little later than everyone else, so many times there are notes on my desk that someone came by needing something, that I had to call someone when I got in, etc.

This time, it said: “Our culture change started when you arrived. Thank you, Kristina – Jim.”

I almost started crying.

First, you have to know Jim.

I only had the opportunity to work with him for a few years before he retired, and in those years I saw a leader who remembered everyone’s names, remembered the last thing you shared with him and cared to follow up and learn more.

Somehow, he always had time for us.

He cared about the business and the people, connecting multiple viewpoints, data points, etc in order to see the bigger picture and the way forward.

And he was adamant and demanding that we meet his high expectations.
He pushed us to excel.

People loved Jim (and still do!) and his retirement announcement rocked the organization, as he had been the leader guiding the way and fighting for the team for many years.

In reality, he deserved so much credit for our culture. Every day, he showed people how to care about others, how to fight to stay in business, how to walk the floor and build relationships, and how to connect the dots and be innovative.

So, receiving even just a little bit of credit for the work we had been doing together over the last year or so was humbling and such an honor.

It was the greatest compliment to hear a leader who I looked up to and admired, see me as a leader in the areas I was most passionate about.

And it was just the feedback I needed to really start believing that I could be more, that I could do more.

Everything I have done, moving towards my passions and purpose, since that day owe some credit to Jim and that sticky note… including starting The Mindfluent Leader, LLC with Breanne!

And it was just the experience I needed to show that one person CAN make a huge difference.

I can be that one person in the projects I work on, where I point my time and energy, and what I focus on.

I can also be that person who cheers others on, appreciates others for their accomplishments, and supports others through their challenges.

The best compliment and encouragement, more than my treasured sticky note from Jim, is hearing from others that I have helped them to see that they can be more, to do more.

Sometimes it’s the little, unintentional things that make a huge difference, that are Inspirationally Impactful.

#InspirationallyImpactful

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”