“Committed or Not?”



 Shared by Kristina Smedley

This Wednesday… I’m going to start my morning workout routine. I’ll go to bed earlier so I can wake up at 5am before the sun rises. I’ll have all my workout gear ready to go. Water bottle and towel on the dresser. Fitbit charged.
 
Then I’ll tiptoe down the hallway and jump on my Peloton bike for a quick morning HIIT ride.
 
It’s going to feel amazing. Favorite instructor – Ally Love. Great music. Heart pumping. Breathless. Proud of myself. 1% daily progress towards my fitness goals.
 
Actually, I’ll start on Saturday so I don’t have to get ready for work afterwards.
 
You know, October 1st might be the best start date so I have a full month to work with.
 
And on it goes.
 
I can’t tell you how often I have this conversation with myself when it comes to a workout routine.
And yes, the Peloton is literally 25 feet from my bed!
 
Boring routines. Other fun things to do. Tiredness.
One of these, all three of these, seem to be the culprit.
 
But this morning I read Oprah, saying:
 
“Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody’s going to know whether you did it or not.”
 
We talk about integrity at work a lot – follow through on commitments to others, be accountable, be trustworthy, make sound decisions, be truthful, etc.
 
But when I read Oprah’s quote, it hit me – I’m fully committed to following through on my commitments to others because I value their perception of me and don’t want to let them down.
 
Do I not value myself enough to follow through for myself?
Am I OK letting myself down?
 
I haven’t considered these questions before.
 
I believe completely that transformation in life starts with the mind. It starts with knowing and changing the mental models, perceptions, stereotypes, etc that are holding me back.
 
This is where my real work needs to start… now.
Not Wednesday. Not Saturday. Not October 1st.
 
Because, I don’t want to answer positively to either of those questions above. Ever.
 
#MindfullyEvolving

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”