“Yelp reviews…”



Shared by Breanne Smedley

Whenever I’m in a new city, or even when Brett and I have a date night that requires one of us to decide on a restaurant, it’s a predictable story.

“Where do you want to eat?”

“I’m not sure, what kind of food do you feel like?”

It goes back and forth for a bit, until one of us pulls out our phones and opens Yelp.

Even in my own city, where I’m familiar with most restaurants around me, I still default to Yelp to help me make a decision.

And the first thing I tend to look at?

The reviews.

And quickly, I decide that there’s nowhere to eat.

It happened this Saturday. Scrolling through all the restaurants within a 10-mile radius from our house.

I’d click on one that looks good, then go directly to the reviews.

A handful of good. People love this place! Then a few bad.

Then, one that says, “Terrible service and cold food!”

“Ok, we can’t eat there!” I’d decide.

Then, go to the next restaurant. Same thing, check the reviews.

Oh, this person said the atmosphere is bad. I want to go somewhere with a good atmosphere.

Next.

It’s usually Brett that realizes what I’m doing and calls me out.

“Stop reading the reviews! Just pick one!”

He’s right.

While the reviews may serve a purpose to help me avoid the truly terrible restaurants (which would probably be out of business anyways if that were the case)…

…just blindly taking other random people’s opinions probably isn’t the best, most effective way to make a decision or evaluate anything.

In fact, through my restaurant scrolling on Yelp, I came across a restaurant that I had been to that I really like. Good food, drinks, atmosphere.

I was surprised to see that it only had a three-star rating from customers.

I looked at some of the negative reviews.

“The food was disgusting.”

“The service is slow.”

Wow, I haven’t ever experienced that at this place! I thought.

Goes to show, one of the dumbest things a person can do is take someone else’s word for it.

I don’t know those people who write their reviews.

I don’t know if they have the same likes, and dislikes as me when it comes to food or drinks.

A “disgusting” fish taco to them because the “batter was too crispy” might be just what I order and find delicious.

At what rate do people find service “slow?” 10 minutes of waiting, 15 minutes, 20 minutes…probably depends on how hungry you are at the time, how many kids you have in tow, and just your overall patience.

So, I do my own research. Maybe looking at the menu and location would be a better way to evaluate if we go in.

Then, I draw my own conclusions, based on experience.

It’s the same with parenting. People are quick to tell you what to do, and what not to do.

Based on their own child, of course.

But, it’s only until I try it on my own unique child that I can determine what works, and what doesn’t.

Or, when it comes to healthy eating and exercise.

One could say, “Whole 30 doesn’t work. Don’t waste your time, or money.”

I wonder, “What did you actually do?” Did you do the work, exactly as it was laid out? Did you follow the reintroduction process? Did you… Did you…?

I don’t just take someone else’s word for it.

I investigate my doubt.

I research. I experience. I learn.

And, for the most part, I now stay out of the reviews on Yelp!

===

 

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”