"Learning to Crawl..."


 
Shared by Kristina Smedley

Kaden has been blowing our minds with his persistence in learning how to crawl.
I don’t know why this is surprising.
For some reason, I expected that babies just crawled… not that I would see his very visible effort into actually learning and practicing how to crawl.
#newmom ;-)
 
About two weeks ago, he started getting further up on his hands.
And started a little rocking back and forth.
Then slowly we saw a knee pop-under him.
 
Then a little lat pull-down type action to use his arms to lunge himself forward.
Then all in about 24 hours he was army crawling, then getting his legs into it, and then suddenly he was coordinated and crawling around.
I loved watching him figure this out.
 
And watching him struggle a little with something until he got the next piece down, and the next, and the next.
And honestly, Kaden has been a great reminder to me that I too have to learn to crawl first, before I can walk and eventually run. And even ‘crawling' isn't something that I can just do… it takes effort, practice, and skill-building.
 
I can’t tell you how hard that is for me to accept sometimes.
 
I’m a fast learner.
I make connections quickly.
I pick things up fast.
And then do them well….
 
So when I don’t, when I have to learn to crawl first, when I have to have patience… it’s hard for me.
 
I get anxious and feel like I’m doing something wrong.
I get a little insecure and wonder why I’m not getting it, why it’s taking me so long.
 
And lately, I’ve been reflecting on this and wondering… do I really pick things up that quickly or could it be that I’m often just choosing to do things that I’m good at?
 
And is that why I get so impatient when I have to slowly and progressively learn and practice something new… something that I’m not good at yet.
 
I really think that’s it and honestly having this awareness has helped me to give myself grace and allow more patience to learn new things, knowing that I will pick it up and I will eventually crawl, then walk, then run.
 
I (we) have a choice… do I stay within my comfort zone and do the things I already know I can do? Or, do I be like Kaden and venture out into new areas and slowly learn to crawl in order to explore the world from a new vantage point?
 
I choose to be like Kaden.
💙
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Streaks…”

“Kristina, the Bulgarian folk dancer…”