"The banana..."

 


Shared by Breanne Smedley

When I worked at Jamba Juice in high school, there was a job I was assigned within the first couple weeks of working there. It seemed that all the newer hires got a turn doing it.
 
Dressing up in a large banana costume and dancing, running, and basically making a fool of myself along the busy street and intersection outside of the store.
 
As someone who doesn’t love when the attention is on me...let alone bringing it to myself by jumping around as a big yellow banana, I wasn’t too excited about this.
 
But, I put the thing on and made my way to the street. I told myself that it’s part of my job, that I’d probably never see these people again...and starting dancing.
 
I got honks.
I got people shouting weird things.
I saw people I knew, and hoped that they wouldn’t recognize me in a bright yellow suit.
 
My mom drove by once and couldn’t stop laughing.
I was assigned the banana job a couple more times in the beginning of my time at Jamba (I’m sure I made business boom when I was out there!).
But, after I had been there for a few months, this "job" would continually go back to the new-hires.
 
Every once in a while, a manager would ask, "anyone want to be the banana?"
To my surprise, I’d sometimes take it.
 
As Kristina and I continue to build our business, chase our passions, and create the life we envision for ourselves and the female leaders of this world, I am reminded that we have to be the banana.
Be willing to start from the bottom.
To put ourselves out there.
Do the work that is necessary, nothing is below us.
That we’re not entitled to anything, just because we’ve shown up, or because we’re educated in our fields.
 
It’s humbling, but it’s part of the process.
So, now even 12 years removed from my high school job, I find myself putting on that proverbial banana suit once again.
 
Only now, it looks like hours researching, launching, failing, and restarting in front of people, friends, and family on the internet.
 
I’ll get some "honks," I’m sure, from people who are following.
People will probably still say weird things.
I may look different now to people.
My mom will still be driving by, cheering me on.
I’m not above starting from the bottom.
I’m willing to be the banana!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”