“Did someone say challenge…



 Shared by Breanne Smedley

I’m a sucker for a good challenge.

7 days, 14 days, 28 days, 45 days, a whole year…doesn’t matter.

If it’s in the form of a challenge, and is something I’m interested in, I’m likely game for it.

The higher the stakes, and the more accountability, the better.

As I was thinking about the number of challenges I’ve participated in, just in the past couple years. The list was longer than expected:

GRIT (5 months and counting)
28 Day StoryAthlete challenge
Whole 30
30 Day One Funnel Away
10 Day Meditation challenge
24 Hour Fasting
Happiness Project Challenge (a full year!)
Stark Naked 21 Day Reset
28 Day 100 Burpees a day challenge

There’s probably a lot that I haven’t even thought of…

Some people may view this challenge hopping as a little crazy.

I call it learning. And experimenting.

I’ve found that challenges are the most effective way to learn what works, and what doesn’t.

By throwing myself into something. Committing. Not just dabbling around or forming opinions without evidence.

Whether it be for a day, or 365 days, it’s the best way to truly gain data.

Data leads to breakthroughs.

Breakthroughs improve my understanding.

Improved understanding leads to more progress.

So, rather than just watching other people and forming an opinion based on their experiences, I jump in and experiment myself.

It’s like being the player in the game vs the “fan-coach” in the stands.

You know, the “fan-coach” that knows exactly what to do in every situation, from the stands of course.

Sometimes referred to as the “armchair quarterback,” they are quick to have an opinion about everything in the game.

When that timeout should have been called. What play should have been run.

Put that “fan-coach” in the game, though, and it’s likely a different story.

Having an opinion and actually experiencing are two different things.

Get into the world of exercise and nutrition, and everyone has an opinion about what “works” and “doesn’t work.”

Talk to a vegetarian, and they’re likely to have an opinion about why meat-eating doesn’t lead to optimal performance.

But talk to someone following the Paleo diet, and they’re likely to give you all the reasons they think grains are the devil.

What’s right?

The data that comes from actually experimenting and trying yourself.

That’s what’s right.

Opinions are not data.

Ray Dalio, as I was reading his book “Principles” this morning makes it clear.

Living by other people’s principles doesn’t work.

It’s the act of putting together your own.

Experimenting.

Getting feedback in the form of failure. Revising and trying again.

Before I raised my hand and joined any of the challenges I’ve tried, I had my opinions on whether or not they would lead to desired results.

But it wasn’t until I actually tried them that I knew for sure.

Turns out cutting sugar and most grains from my diet leads to better sleep and energy.
And that intermittent fasting is do-able, but I don’t love it.
And that 28 days of 100 burpees sucks, but can lead to a six-pack.
And the accountability, structure, and workouts within GRIT leads to increased self-confidence.

How do I know?

Because, I’ve tried it.

===

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”