“An off week…”

 


Shared by Breanne Smedley

Last week was “off” for whatever reason.

Every Sunday, I go through the process of reviewing my previous week, and setting goals, intentions, and metrics for the following week.

My “metrics”, are habits that I’ve identified as things that can move me towards my goals and help me get 1% better across mind, body, business, and relationships.

They include:

Meditate everyday (5 mins minimum).
5 IODs (Stories) a week.
Read 40 Pages everyday.
GRIT everyday.
CrossFit 2x a week.
Peloton 4x a week.
No phone in bed or between 4-7pm.

Things that I can easily “check the box” if I did or not.

Well, as I reviewed last week, my metrics looked something like this:

Meditate-3 days
IODs-4 stories
Read 40 pages-Not even close (maybe 40 pages TOTAL for the week)
GRIT-Checked that box, thankfully, because there is no other option!
CrossFit-1x
Peloton-3x
Phone-Broke all the rules

When I looked at this, it was easy to become a bit down.

Sad, depressed even. To the point where I started getting on the negative train.

Because it’s easy to attach our self-worth to what we accomplish or don’t accomplish. In any given week, or in our life.

But, living like this will always have us riding an unpredictable roller coaster.

Feeling good one moment, then bad the next.

While it’s easy to do, I’ve been learning that being defined by external things (Ie. People’s opinions of us-good or bad, our mistakes, our accomplishments) never leads to true confidence.

Because true confidence isn’t shaken by something as simple as an “off-week” or a mistake.

It’s like when Charlee spills something and makes a mess.

We acknowledge it, “Oops! Water spilled. Let’s clean it up, the towel is in the kitchen.”

We learn from it, “Next time, make sure to screw the cap on all the way.”

We move on.

We don’t make her feel terrible for spilling water. For making a mistake. She’s not a “messy person” because she made a mess.

So often, we take things too personally.

I’m learning this through meditation as it applies to our thoughts, emotions, and mistakes.

“I’m feeling anxious” does not equal “I am an anxious person.”

“I felt anger” doesn’t mean “I’m an angry person.”

Emotions come and go. Thoughts come and go.

Now, “I had a bad week” doesn’t turn into:

“I’m failing at this whole mom, wife, working, business-building thing.”

No, I had an off week.

But I am capable.

I learn from it, make changes, and start again.

On to the next week!

===

#DaringlyResilient

 Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”