“AFV…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

If you’ve never had the experience of watching the show “America’s Funniest Videos” with my mom, you’re missing out on a life experience.

I’m not really sure who else watches AFV anymore.

But, my mom does.

And when she does, it always starts out innocent.

Some giggles here or there.

Until it gets to the part where it’s just a long compilation of people falling, running into things, or getting stuck places.

That’s when it really starts getting going.

The giggle turns into a full-on laugh.

The kind where your whole body kind of seizes up.

And you can’t breathe for a second.

Then the tears start.

My sister and I, on the couch, just look at each other.

“What is so funny!?”

That person just ran as fast as they could into a sliding glass door. Are they okay?!

Meanwhile, my mom continues to laugh/cry and threaten that she’s going to pee her pants.

Then, I can’t stop laughing.

Not because of the videos, but because of my mom.

You know that saying about laughter being contagious?

I feel it.

It’s like I can’t control myself, watching her and starting to smile then uncontrollably laugh myself.

My sister, too.

But, that’s my mom for you.

She’ll find any opportunity to laugh.

To make any situation funny.

Sometimes, at the expense of herself.

One time, when we were in Mexico, she had the idea to do a little snorkeling.

She put on the gear, and waddled out into the shallow part of the ocean. Only a couple feet in.

As she bent over to put her mask in the water, a wave came and crashed her onto the beach.

Swimsuit all in disarray.

Hair all over the place.

Sand in places that probably took a few days to dislodge.

When she regained composure, she could hardly stand.

Not because she was hurt.

But because of that laugh.

Doubling over, unable to catch her breath because she was laughing so hard at herself.

Not caring what the bystanders were thinking, or who might have seen.

Just enjoying the moment for what it was. Hilarious.

So while I may not understand AFV or think it’s as funny as she does.

It’s a really good feeling to laugh so hard you might have an accident.

It makes you forget about worries for a second.

It connects people.

It’s fun.

Thanks, mom, for allowing me to live that lesson more times than I can count.

===

#IntegrallyRelational

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”