“You-Niversity…”



 Shared by Breanne Smedley

I’m going to share what might be an unpopular opinion, especially for a teacher.

Most college degrees are a waste of money.

That paper, that title, that took 4-5 years and $50-100K to get?

Most don’t even use it.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved my college experience.

I grew up a lot from being forced away from my family.

I learned about myself as a person through my freedom to choose my path.

And as a teacher, I cannot obtain a job without a college degree (multiple, actually).

But it wasn’t until I was “on the job” that my learning really took off.

Not during the two years of required course work BEFORE I even entered my major.

You know, classes like the Art of Listening to Music and Symbolic Logic.

At $12K a year.

Then, when I was ready to enter my major.

“Sorry, you’re going to have to wait another quarter for it to open back up.”

That’ll be another $4K in random courses.

I remember celebrating the end of college, and my master's program.

Thinking I’ll no longer have to deal with coursework or books.

I can get out and teach.

And that’s where the true learning began.

In the field. Practicums. Student teaching.

Then, ultimately, my first job.

No, college wasn’t a total waste.

Not by any stretch.

But I do believe it sets us up to think that’s the only way to do it.

That the learning stays within the walls of the university.

That without a college diploma, you’re somehow lesser.

And that you need a degree in order to pursue your passions.

If I’ve learned anything over the past couple years, it’s that I have the ability to teach myself.

To research.
Learn from experts.
Podcasts.
Books.
Specialized courses.

That I can solve meaningful problems.

But that requires more research. More learning. Another course.

“But you already have a degree. Can’t you just relax?”

I’m reminded that ambitious behaviors can really annoy people around me.

Like my reading for pleasure or listening to another podcast somehow offends them.

I will always continue to learn.

To seek my passions and learn as much as I can from the best.

Last month, I became a Certified Mindset Coach.

I paid for the program.

It’s interesting…

$50K for a college degree, no one blinks.

$4K for a course in which I learned immeasurable amounts of information.
Real-life, applicable practices that made me a better coach.
And provided another source of income for my family.

“That’s so expensive!”

Ha!

I guess that’s the difference between the University.

And the You-Niversity.

One ends at the completion of 4 years.

The other, you never graduate from.

===

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”