“100 Burpees a day…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

“100 Burpees a day…”

Last week, I accidentally agreed to doing 100 burpees a day for 28 days.

Nearly 2,800 burpees by Oct. 31st.

I actually joined a different challenge with my fellow StoryAthletes to develop grit and mental toughness through daily workouts over the course of 28 days.

I thought the challenge included 100 burpees a day, something the group did together last month.

Burpees absolutely suck.

They’re a full-body movement in which you bring your body down to the floor, then convince yourself not to stay there as you push yourself back up so that your feet meet your hands, then top it all off with a jump off the ground.

Scared, I decided to get my classes on board with me. Then my volleyball team.

By the end of the week, I had recruited a small army of people pumped and ready to start doing 100 burpees a day.

Turns out, I didn’t read the challenge rules closely enough.

Workout #1 was posted. It involved running stairs, push-ups, hollow rocks…

But no burpees…

I realized my error, followed immediately by the realization that I can’t back out now.

So, 100 burpees a day it is.

Why?

Because part of being a Mindfluent Leader is putting ourselves in situations to grow.
To become stronger.
To evolve instead of stay put.
To become resilient.
To practice optimism in the face of difficulty.

It has way less to do with the physical benefits (although secretly I’ll be a little ticked if I don’t see some sort of fitness improvement after nearly 3.000 burpees…)

It has everything to do with my mental conditioning.

We can’t grow if we don’t struggle.

We can’t struggle if we are never in situations to do so.

I’m training my mind to see difficult things as an opportunity instead of something to bring me down.

As I lower myself to the ground for burpee number 64 and I ignore that little voice that tells me just to stop, I get stronger.

I condition myself to embrace the suck.

I remind myself that I can do hard things.

And I let that resiliency, optimism, and mindset shift to enter all other areas of my life.

When Charlee is going nuts and I can’t figure out why she’s crying, making me want to pull out my hair.

“I can do hard things.”

When I’m faced with a difficult conversation that I know I need to have, but don’t want to.

“I can do hard things.”

When the unimaginable happens in my life. Loss of loved ones. Broken relationships.

“I can do hard things. Keep going.”

The situation may be hard. The outcome may be uncertain, but I can choose to remain resilient and optimistic.

Every day, I’m proving it to myself.

One burpee at a time.

 

#FiercelyOptimistic

#DaringlyResilient

 Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”