“Butterflies…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

I remember playing in one of my first soccer matches in elementary school.

Our team was called the Dragonflies, and we were fierce!

At least that’s what I remember about fifth-grade soccer…

I also remember the feeling I would get before every game.

An uneasy feeling in my stomach

My mom told me they were “butterflies.”

That made perfect sense, it’s exactly how I felt.

A bunch of butterflies fluttering around my stomach disrupting things.

Making me feel like I either had to go run around or race to the bathroom before I took the field.

I remember trying to tell the butterflies to calm down in my head. I would try to imagine them slowing their wings down and eventually stopping, then disappearing from my tummy.

I didn’t want butterflies around. They made me feel different.

Fast forward to today, and my mindset around those little guys has shifted entirely.

I now see them as a measure of my daily growth.

Butterflies, nervous excitement, a little bit of fear.

Those are the signs that now tell me I’m about to do something meaningful.

In just the past couple weeks, I can tell you exactly when I felt their wings flapping around again.

Right before I had a tough, but important conversation with a player.

The moment I sat in the “safe seat” with my team and shared my hero, hardship, and highlight with them.

Right before I lead 70 football players through a mental training workshop.

Leading a group of amazing, dedicated women through a 21-day challenge of transforming their Inner Critics into their Inner Coach.

All these moments evoked nervousness, fear, and butterflies.

All of these moments were also pivotal in my journey to continue to evolve as a coach, leader, friend, and entrepreneur.

My lesser self, the one that avoids butterflies, lives in the comfort zone.

My lesser self likes to prevent me from ever feeling nervous. So it designs my environment to allow me to always feel comfortable.

Avoiding the tough conversations. Never trying anything new. Preventing growth. Stopping transformation.

My heroic self lives to embrace the butterflies.

Because once they show up, I know I’m about to face my fears.

That feeling tells me I’m on the right track.

And that growth is not far behind.

===

#MindfullyEvolving

#DaringlyResilient

 Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”