“Deadlines…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

The word has a negative connotation.

It reminds me of college, frantically racing to turn in an assignment by the deadline, only to find the printer in Bond Hall jammed up.

Panic ensues and the feeling that my life will be over if I can’t get it turned in by the deadline.

Nowadays, it’s the only thing that allows me to get anything done.

Deadlines put me on the hook and hold me accountable.

In fact, if a task is not on the calendar to be completed by a specific date or time, history tells me it won’t be completed at all.

Which is why Kristina and I, after weeks of knowing we wanted to launch another beta round of the ConfidenceFactor™ Challenge, didn’t do it until we sat down and put a deadline on it.

“August 4th is when we’ll start.”

We worked backwards from there. 
Launched the challenge on July 30th.
Full by July 31st.

Boom-the power of a deadline brought it to life.

Knowing this, there are still a surprising number of items on my list that have been left uncompleted, just being moved from week to week.

The one that’s been on the longest:

Compile and edit IODs (Impact of the Day stories) for my book.

Gretchin Rubin, a writer who studies happiness always says, “Something that can be done any time is often done at no time.”

No deadline.

“I can complete my book anytime,” I tell myself.

Without a deadline and the process of working backward to block the time to complete it, “anytime” has turned into “no time” for weeks and weeks.

So, it’s time to use the tried and true method to ensure things get done.

August 16th-Compile and edit IODs for book.

I’m on the hook.

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”