“Rules…”

 


Shared by Breanne Smedley

Tuesday marked my final day of my summer Whole 30.

For thirty days, it was no grains, dairy, sugar, alcohol, conventional oils, or legumes.

I always feel really good when I eat this way. I have more energy, sleep better, and just overall feel stronger and more confident.

The rules of Whole 30 are pretty strict.

In addition to the excluded foods, the program also says no to any conventionally prepared chips or snacks, or preparation of any treats using Whole 30 ingredients.

Read: No pancakes made from a concoction of almond flour/banana/egg.

It also basically eliminated me from eating out (aside from a very specific order at Chipotle) and forced me to think ahead, plan, and prep my meals.

When I first did a Whole 30 a couple of years ago, I thought these rules were a bit ridiculous.

I mean, does it really matter if there is a drop of honey in my salad dressing?

And what’s wrong with plantain chips?!

Rules. They often get a bad rap.

But here’s the thing about rules.

They eliminate indecision. 
Make choices clear. 
Keep us on track.

When I was on Whole 30, I found it easy to stay compliant for the most part.

My mindset was framed to only eat what was on the plan.

Going into parties, meetings, and events, I knew that I was going to eat beforehand and it just wasn’t an option to have non-Whole 30 treats.

I wasn’t guilted into it, or mindlessly eating just because it was there.

It made decisions easy.

It’s like when a vegetarian goes out to eat at a restaurant.

Over half the menu is probably canceled out immediately due to meat, leaving only a few options to choose from.

Easy.

Unlike yesterday, my first day off of Whole 30, when I contemplated for 30 minutes on whether or not I should have a bowl of ice cream.

Not having the rules, or boundaries, left me wrestling with myself and wondering if it would be worth it.

I ended up having a bowl, and it was definitely worth it!

It got me thinking though, that I could benefit from some rules, even off the Whole 30.

Maybe I reserve non-Whole 30 meals for the weekend?

Only eat out once a week?

Or, like my fellow StoryAthlete teammate CJ Thomas does, only allow myself ice cream one day per calendar month?

I’m not sure what the perfect balance is yet.

What I do know is that my mindset around rules has transformed.

What I used to see as restrictive and stifling are now the keys that set me up for freedom and success.

===

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”