“12 books in 12 months…”



 Shared by Breanne Smedley

That was my new year resolution once.

I can’t remember exactly which year it was, but I do remember it didn’t happen.

Which, looking back, is no surprise.

Time in the day is limited, so I’m not sure how I expected to read that many books without changing where I was devoting my time.

Fast forward to April of 2019 and I’m six books down this year.

Which may not seem like a lot to some people.

But with a schedule that includes full-time teaching, coaching, building a business, and devoting time to family…knocking out six books in four months isn’t something I ever thought I’d have time for.

The challenge was simple.

As a part of the 90 Day Immersion Kristina and I are in to help build our business, we were tasked with reading/processing 40-50 book pages a day.

I didn’t understand that “process” part in the beginning.

One of our pre-assignments was to read a book called, “The 1% Rule: How to fall in love with the process and achieve your wildest dreams” by Tommy Baker.

Like a good student, I got right to it. Finished within the week.

Then, our homework assignment related to the book was posted:

Recall the biggest idea from each page of the first 150 pages of the book.

What?!

Ryan, our leader, mentioned that this will either take us 15 minutes, or hours, depending on how effective our research and consumption model is.

Well, that first assignment took me hours. 
I went back and reread each 150 pages. This time, writing down the key message of each page of the book in the margin.

Since then, I’ve read books differently.

And gained a whole new perspective on how to process information to retain and recall information quickly.

My goal isn’t to read a certain number of books in a year anymore.

My focus is on processing and reading daily.

But, that consistent and sustained effort has inadvertently allowed me a path to a personal record.

A PR in reading, it’s a thing. 😉

 

#MindfullyEvolving

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”