“Burnt salmon…”


 

Shared by Breanne Smedley

Last night, I burned our dinner on accident.

When the salmon came out of the oven, some pieces were black on top, smoking, visibly dry, and flaky.

“Wow,” Brett said as he tried to eat a piece. “I think this is the second meal in 9 years together that didn’t turn out.”

The first was a version of a vegan eggplant lasagne…

We still haven’t been able to eat large quantities of eggplant since.

We joked as we tried to mix the pieces we could salvage with the sauce from our stir-fried veggies.

“On a scale of sushi to the turkey from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, how dry is the salmon?”

Brett said 7. I think he was being modest.  

“Well, was it worth it?” I asked.

“Definitely.”

Yep, I ruined the dinner. But while that salmon was getting the moisture sucked out of it in the oven for an extra 40 minutes, Brett, Charlee, and I were upstairs in Charlee’s room.

Playing, reading, helping Charlee take her first steps.

Before heading up, I checked the salmon and decided it was almost finished. Just needed a little bit longer in the oven.

I set a timer for 8 minutes, thinking that would be enough time to go upstairs, help Brett get Charlee ready for bed, and be back down.

Once I got upstairs, time sort of stopped.

It’s that feeling you get when you’re in a flow.

That feeling I used to get when I played volleyball.

I’d finish playing, look at the time, and be amazed that 3 hours had somehow passed.

Upstairs, Brett and I watched as Charlee pulled herself up and began walking around her room.

One hand always slightly touching the wall, dresser, or crib for support.

Saying “Dadadadada” to herself as she would let her hand leave her support, only for a split second to pick something up from the ground.

We encouraged her as she would pick the toy from the ground, and try to give it to us with her outstretched arm.

We would back up so that we were just out of reach.

“Oh, oooohh, come get it Charlee!” We would say with raised eyebrows. 

Charlee leaned forward with the toy, taking a baby step before falling to the ground.

“YAYYY!!” We would say, clapping.

Charlee looked confused, but smiled and clapped along.

Then we got into a giggle fit as Charlee began pulling her diapers out and putting them on her head.

So dad followed suit, which Charlee thought was hilarious.

After a while, Brett stepped outside her room and said,

“The oven is beeping, should I take out the salmon?”

“Oh, no!” I thought. The salmon…

Too late.

Fish burned.

But memories created.

 

#IntegrallyRelational

 Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Exhausted vs Inspiring…”