“At least we tried…”


 

Shared by Kristina Smedley

I was lucky to grow up with very handy parents; as kids, we learned how to use a hammer, a drill, a saw, and so much more.

I’d say, I’m pretty equipped to take care of the basics around the house.

But, there are always those projects where looking back, I think: “Well, at least we tried.”

I remember one time, like it was yesterday. My dad had been in SoCal for about three weeks helping us totally remodel the townhouse we had just bought. We completely gutted and redid the kitchen and bathrooms. New floors. And more.

Sennad was out of town on a business trip a majority of the time.
My dad and I had the best time together. I still can’t believe what we accomplished!

But unfortunately, my dad had to get home on a certain date, leaving a few key projects on the list. Sennad and I got up the following morning, looked at the next item, and thought… let’s do it!

Plumbing.
Installing a new tub faucet.

It seemed simple enough. Sennad could get it done before lunch.

I was in the bedroom, while Sennad unwrapped the new faucet.
Removed the old one.
And put the new one on, being sure to follow the simple enclosed instructions.

Easy as that. He turned on the water.

And BOOM!
The new handle and faucet went flying as water exploded out of the faucet and slammed against the back wall.

It was like a fire hose was exploding in our second-floor bathroom.
Water was gushing everywhere, in an instant.

Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t!
Sennad is flying down the stairs, with Lexi right in front of him. Scared to death by the commotion and running faster than ever.

Why didn’t we turn off the water!

Before I could tell Sennad where the shutoff valve was – outside our back gate! – he had already grabbed a wrench, found the shutoff valve, and was turning like crazy.

I ran back up to sop up water before it leaked down into our brand new kitchen.

Thank goodness for the hottest and worst month of the year in SoCal – September. Everything dried up quickly, leaving no lasting damage.

Sennad and I looked at each other later that afternoon, saying: “Well, at least we tried. Let’s just call a plumber.” The next day, the Plumber came, installed the faucet, and all was well.

This situation isn’t all that uncommon for us.

Many times things work out great. We adjust as we go and I’m proud of what we accomplish. And it’s fun to do together. Occasionally, it totally bombs but I’m glad we tried and learned. Like above.

If given a choice to trust myself and try in life/relationships/business, or succumb to my fears, I’ll always give it a try.

I’ll also keep track of the no-go items and just call an expert! After a few more recent water issues, plumbing has officially made that last.

 

#DaringlyResilient

Check out what we're up to now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Learning to Crawl..."

“Streaks…”

“Kristina, the Bulgarian folk dancer…”